9.9.11

Two Brothers on 9/11


dedicated to Billy and Andy


Isaac & Ishmael

It happened on a day quite clear
A day when fear came to call
It shook us all

Two brothers standing side by side
Precious souls inside begin to fall

Who would have known our lives would change
Once and for all

When Isaac fell Ishmael cried
He had no choice but to fall, too

What would you say if i told you
We were made that much stronger after all?

When Isaac fell Ishmael cried
He had no choice but to fall, too

What would you say if i told you
We were made that much stronger?
We were made that much stronger
So we can love each other after all.



Jeff Jeudy feat. The Soulfolk Experience.
Copyright 2009, Used by permission.
http://www.myspace.com/thesoulfolkexperience


What a beautiful song. I was moved and touched by the beauty of the rhythm and words when I encountered this piece of music - melodic and strong in word and rhythm. It’s a song about two brothers. But something didn’t sit right about this song and when I learned what this song was about, I knew what was wrong for me. It’s a song about 9/11.

The lyrics explain themselves once you understand the context. It’s beautiful, poignant and oh….so….painful….. Love and hate this song. Love its beauty. Hate the inspiration.

This song took on another meaning when I learned about two brothers whose lives were forever changed on 9/11. In 1989, I was a youth pastor to two incredible, lively, wonderful brothers in their younger, teenage, more carefree days – days that shaped them to be the men they were on 9/11. About three years ago, I ran into Billy (the older brother) at church. It was wonderful to see one of the youth group members I had nurtured all grown up. He was grown, with a scruffy face, some lines beginning to etch on his face and that’s what troubled me – he looked too old for his age. Something wasn’t right. But I didn’t let this stop me from being glad to reconnect with one of the students I had pastored some 20+ years earlier. I ran into him a couple of times and we casually chatted. Then it occurred to me that I hadn’t seen his younger brother, Andy and so I asked about him. Billy’s face took on a puzzled look, his eyes that were always clouded took on a darkness and that’s when he told me – Andy died on 9/11.

My heart fell and I cursed God. Yes, I cursed God. Because until that moment, I thanked God that I didn’t know anyone directly who had died that horrific day. Of course, that day has altered me forever but I didn’t carry the burden of mourning someone I personally knew every year on 9/11. I was getting off easy. Those whom I mourned for were strangers. It sounds twisted but it’s a privilege to mourn someone you don’t know directly – at least you can be sad from a distance. Not having been a part of their lives nor having them be a part of your life makes mourning/remembering someone a whoooole lot easier. Now that’s been changed.

Moving toward the 10th anniversary of one of the most horrific days in history is hard for me. It was bad enough as it was (I have my own 9/11 story and I hope to someday share it) but now it’s been made so much worse. For on that day for the rest of my life, I will remember these 2 special brothers. Knowing that Billy is forever changed and Andy is dead breaks my heart. I can clearly see their faces as teenagers in my mind. Both smiling, full of life, your typical teenagers – brothers standing side by side. Now this is replaced by the pained face of Billy standing alone. No brother by his side. Left behind to face the rest of his life alone. Brother without brother.

There are many prayers to be said on 9/11. Many tears will flow. Cries and howls will be lifted to the skies. Ceremonies will be held all over the world. I’m comforted the 10th anniversary of 9/11 happens to fall on a Sunday. I’ll be at church with my church community mourning and remembering together. I find comfort in knowing that this year – when the world marks this tragic day – I will be sitting in a safe, nurturing, supportive space where I can cry my heart out for 2 brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment